Thursday 28 May 2009

Is Grace Amazing to You?

One of the most beloved hymns of all time, Amazing Grace, starts with " Amazing grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me..."

When I was in college, my friend would joke that every time she sang that hymn, she would change the sentence "that saved a wretch like me" to "that saved a wretch like YOU". As she sang that, she would look at her clueless friend gleefully and give the poor girl a painful jibe in the elbow.

I used to laugh at her antic and her ingenuity at changing that particular sentence of the hymn. Now in retrospect, it has struck me that to my friend at that time, there was nothing amazing about grace because she never felt that the word "wretch" described her in any way at all.

It has finally dawned on me that only those who really know how wretched they are will truly understand why grace is so amazing and how sweet that word sounds.

Amazing Grace Lyrics
John Newton (1725-1807)Stanza 6 anon.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.

I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

9 comments:

Marks and Blogging said...

Amen Kat, I understand what you mean. I never knew how amazing grace was until I realised what Jesus went through for me and how much he loved me. I once thought I was a self made person but I realised that everything I had achieved were like filty rags.

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Kat,

I expected a simple layout but you got music videos and a slide show too! Let me guess, Michelle must have helped you set it up ;-)

btw, a great first post ... grace is amazing to us only when we realize how unworthy we are:

Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him.
(Phi 3:8-9a)

Kat said...

Hi Stan,
You underestimated me...haha...i set up the blog all by myself...Mich was too preoccupied with her project to even lend a finger...;)

Angie said...

Yes Amen. I know exactly what you mean Kat. It's knowing how wretched I was & how great our Daddy's grace is that everytime I sing this song in church, it nevers fails to touch the emotional side of me and draw tears to my eyes.

Your post has blessed me tremendously in ways you'll never know. Thanks so much! and tks for adding me on Grace roots too.

"Grace will lead me home" :)

Kat said...

Hi Angie,
Thanks so much for your encouraging words. It's so great to be able to connect with each other in cyberspace. Thank Abba for modern technology!
Daddy God's super abounding grace be on you and your family!

Unknown said...

hi mum ur blog is REALLY REALLY nice!i love ur post and doggie photos most!;-)

Spooner said...

Dear Kat, I muz say that you have improved tremendously, technologically... :) Your blog site is awesome! Indeed, I have been so blessed by God's super abounding grace since the day I started my own business. No one can fathom the great works our Heavenly Father has done in my life, and I give Him thanks! My life has changed tremendously, to learn how to "let go & let God".

Kat said...

Hi Spooner,
Thks for ur kind words. I am really glad to hear abt Daddy God's mighty works in your life. God is good!

Spooner said...

1 more thing I wanted to add...indeed, "Seeing, Hearing, Believing & Receiving" God's abounding grace really works! I encourage all who read this blog to do the same! Truly, He is an awesome God!!