Monday 1 June 2009

Grace – Given Redemption At Christ’s Expense (2)

As I continue to dwell on the acronym, G.R.A.C.E. and what it means to me (Given Redemption At Christ’s Expense), I realize with growing conviction in my heart that I have indeed been redeemed from many bad things for the bible says in Galatians 3:13: Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." (NIV)

I have been redeemed from the curse of the law at Christ’s expense! How does one come under the curse of the law in the first place? A few verses up and it tells us clearly:
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." (Galatians 3:10 NIV). This is really scary because what it means is that if I rely on observing the law, I have put myself under a curse and if I DO NOT do EVERYTHING written in the book of law, I am cursed!

What is the book of law?
John 1:17 tells us, For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. (NIV). The only laws given through Moses were the Ten Commandments, which were written by God’s own finger on tablets of stone. This means that according to Galatians 3:10, if I rely on keeping these laws and I cannot do what the commandments demand then I am cursed! But praise be to Daddy God! The second part of the verse brings me great comfort and hope for it declares; “grace and truth came through Jesus Christ”.

I can rejoice and sing for grace and truth came in the person of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ and He has redeemed me from the curses of the Ten Commandments, which demand absolute obedience and adherence from me. God in His mercy knows that I will never in this life be able with my own effort to fulfill all the demands of the law. Thank God Jesus came, to redeem me from these demands and the curses that will come upon me when I disobey the law. He came to fulfill the law so that I am no longer under law, but under grace and this has been made possible for me at Christ’s expense.
“… you are not under law, but under grace”. (Romans 6:14 NIV)

This brings me to the important question of what is the curse of the law (not that I want the curse or curses) but it behoves me to find out what Christ has redeemed me from. The curses on disobedience are listed in detail in
Deuteronomy 28:15-68. Wow! That is a lot of curses! But because of Jesus, NONE of these curses will befall me because He has redeemed me from the curse of poverty, sickness, disease, broken relationships, etc and etc.
Hallelujah! What a wonderful Saviour!

No comments: