Wednesday 10 June 2009

A Promise in the Sky

By Ignwar on photobucket

A rainbow in the sky is a beautiful and peaceful sight to behold. The rainbow has been a perennial inspiration to artists, poets and musicians. It is a symbol of peace and hope. This colourful arc also has a definite place in legends and mythologies.

In the bible, the rainbow is God’s promise of His mercy, a symbol of His love and grace. In
Genesis 9:12-16, God told Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and everything living around you and everyone living after you. I'm putting my rainbow in the clouds, a sign of the covenant between me and the Earth. From now on, when I form a cloud over the Earth and the rainbow appears in the cloud, I'll remember my covenant between me and you and everything living, that never again will floodwaters destroy all life. When the rainbow appears in the cloud, I'll see it and remember the eternal covenant between God and everything living, every last living creature on Earth." (The Message)

The rainbow is God’s covenant that He made with man not to destroy the world in such a way again. This beautiful arc is a witness in the sky of His grace and mercy to mankind as seen in
Isaiah 54:(9-10) "This exile is just like the days of Noah for me: I promised then that the waters of Noah would never again flood the earth. I'm promising now no more anger, no more dressing you down. For even if the mountains walk away and the hills fall to pieces, My love won't walk away from you, my covenant commitment of peace won't fall apart." (The Message)

When we see a rainbow in the sky, we are reminded vividly that God has promised that He will not be angry with us anymore and His love will never depart from us. This is grace! The rainbow is a picture of His grace, love and everlasting forgiveness lavished so magnanimously on His children. God does not have to promise (He is God), but He did, in the NKJ, it says, “So have I sworn”. Wow! God SWORE, that is even greater in magnitude than a promise! God has sworn (taken an oath) not to judge us based on our sins anymore because God has judged us in Jesus on the cross. " In this is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation (the atoning sacrifice) for our sins.” (1 John 4:10 Amplified bible)

In
Revelations 4:3 the “rainbow around the throne” is likewise seen as the symbol of hope and the wonderful promise of God’s grace and love. So if God has sworn that He will no longer be angry with us, why should we remember our sins and remind God of them? So what do we do when we fail? We should always have God’s rainbow of no condemnation in our hearts and thoughts and remember that we are the righteousness of God in Christ. We have to constantly declare with our mouths that we are blessed because God has promised that He will not reckon our sins against us. “Blessed and happy and to be envied is the person of whose sin the Lord will take no account nor reckon it against him.” (Romans 4:8 Amplified bible)

Do you have God’s rainbow of promise in your heart and thoughts?


2 comments:

Angie said...

Amen! love the picture by Ignwar. It's so simple but powerful. The picture speaks for itself in that the symbol of promise over the symbol of a finished work on the cross. We POSSESS the promise because of Christ's finished work. omph! :D

Also, i love the Message's version of Isa 54:9-10. "My love WONT walk away from you, my covenant commitment of peace wont fall apart" woah! My Jesus, My Lover! :D

Thanks for sharing!

Kat said...

Hi Angie,
Thks for your comments...I have been so encouraged by them...:)
I love the photo too...btw I love your photo of the clouds forming a heart of love over the cross...so awesome...:)))