Monday 13 July 2009

Glory in weaknesses

When we encounter problems in life, do we rely on our own human effort and wisdom to solve them or do we depend on God’s grace? Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9 exhorts us : “But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and [a]show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may [b]pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me!" (The Amplified Bible)

This is such an amazing verse! We often only quote the first part of it which says that God’s grace is sufficient for us in our difficulties. We tend to overlook the following sentence which says, “for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness". Wow! God’s grace is sufficient for me because His strength and power are made perfect and fulfilled in my weakness! In another words, ONLY when I am weak, then can He be strong.

This is so contrary to the values of the world which exalt strength and independence. Being weak is frowned upon and seen as wimpy. God’s ways are in total contrast to the ways of the world. Isaiah 40:29 tells us, “He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength.” (NKJ) Paul proudly declares in 2 Corinthians 12:10 : “…For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (NKJ)

So what does the Bible mean by “weak” here? I believe it means we must be willing to put down our human pride and admit that we need God’s grace in every situation of our lives. When we meet with a difficult situation, we need to know that we have to rely entirely on His grace to see us through, not our self effort or human wisdom. It is so tempting in life to glory in our own strength and independence and not admit that we need to depend on God’s grace which The Amplified Bible defines very clearly as God’s favor, loving kindness and mercy.

Ecclesiastes 9:11 sums it up so aptly, “I have observed something else under the sun. The fastest runner doesn’t always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn’t always win the battle. The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don’t always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time. (NLT) The crux of the message here is that the strong and wise do not always get the best of everything. It is decided by chance and being at the right place at the right time. Who can ensure that he will always be at the right place at the right time? Only God can. Only His favor can let chance and time happen to us and for us.

No wonder the apostle Paul says “…I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may [b]pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me!” (2 Corinthians 12:9 The Amplified Bible)

Are you glad to glory in your weaknesses?

3 comments:

Alan Hiu said...

Amen...! John 3:30 ~ He must become greater; I must become less...

Stanley Wong said...

Strong's Definition for "weak" in Greek:
ἀσθενέω
astheneō
as-then-eh'-o
From G772; to be feeble (in any sense): - be diseased, impotent folk (man), (be) sick, (be, be made) weak.


Thayer Definition:
1) to be weak, feeble, to be without strength, powerless
2) to be weak in means, needy, poor
3) to be feeble, sick
Part of Speech: verb

God's power can work thru us only when we are powerless :-)

Angie said...

Amen! I too thank God for allowing me to be powerless; not so that I can be broken, but to experience His power. :)