Wednesday 1 July 2009

Grace Is Unfair

In all the parables that Jesus told, I think the one that raised the most eyebrows during His time and probably even now is the Parable of the Vineyard Workers. (Matthew 20:1-16 NIV)

1"For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire men to work in his vineyard.2He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.

3"About the third hour he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4He told them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.' 5So they went.

"He went out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour and did the same thing. 6About the eleventh hour he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?'

7" 'Because no one has hired us,' they answered.
"He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.'

8"When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.'

9"The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. 10So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12'These men who were hired last worked only one hour,' they said, 'and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.'

13"But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? 14Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?'

16"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

It is no wonder that the first group of workers who toiled the longest was mad! They had worked the longest under the hot sun and these late comers who were doing nothing earlier but loafing around at the market square barely worked for a few hours after they were given the job and they received the same pay! Surely the landowner was out of his mind and extremely unfair to the first hour workers.

Let’s examine his answer “'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? 14Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?'” The landowner hit the nail on the head! He asked if they were jealous because he was generous!

The landowner in Jesus’ parable did not cheat the group of first hour workers, he paid them according to what he promised them. They were upset and discontented because they could not accept that their employer could do whatever he wanted with his money and he paid the late comers the same amount as them. They felt that he was being downright UNFAIR by their own standards.

When Jesus told this story, He was giving us a parable about grace, and yes God’s grace is unfair because it cannot be measured, not by a day’s wage or by our “good” works. Jesus put it very plainly, “So the last will be first, and the first will be last." Grace means it is not about counting! Grace is a GIFT, to be RECEIVED from God, we cannot do anything to earn it. Yes, God’s grace is unfair, it is unfairly GOOD!

Philip Yancey in his book, “What’s So Amazing About Grace?” sums it up so eloquently. “ We like to think of ourselves as responsible workers, and the employer’s strange behaviour baffles us as it did the original hearers. We risk missing the story’s point: that God dispenses gifts, not wages. None of us gets paid according to merit, for none of us comes close to satisfying God’s requirements for a perfect life. If paid on the basis of fairness, we would all end up in hell.

Have you embraced this unfair grace?

7 comments:

Stanley Wong said...

yes i have :-)and I'm glad it's unfair ;-)

Angie said...

I certainly have! This is a wonderful post Kat! I love the way you write! :D

Btw, earlier when i was at my in law's place, i was using my fil's laptop when i was suddenly reminded of putting up everythinggracechinese on 'somewhere' where my fil could easily see. I wanted to put your link as his homepage but felt that it was not very nice? i meddled around and found the option of putting it on another tab together with the homepage. so everytime he opens a new window, he would see his default home page as well as another tab with your blog next to the homepage opened. I felt that was so HS inspired! :D I hope (confidently expecting good) that one day he would pay attention to was written on that tab and be a right place right moment for him :)

Tks sister for being such a wonderful blessing. You have touched my life in ways you would never have known. hugs!

Kat said...

Hi Angie,
Thanks so much for your comment and your sweet encouragement. I pray that Daddy God will use my chinese blog to reach out to your father in law and manifest His love and grace to him.
Thank you for your wonderful friendship and you too have been a great blessing and source of encouragement to me.
I love you, sister. :)

Joel Brueseke said...

To simplify it in the words of the Newsboys:

When we don't get what we don't deserve
It's a real good thing, a real good thing.
When we get what we don't deserve.
It's a real good thing, a real good thing..."

=D

Embrace the unfair grace!

Marks and Blogging said...

I totally agree that God's grace is unfairly good. It is because of this that we can be the righteousness of God in Christ. It is not something that we can do to earn it, it is by His grace and His unfairly good grace alone.

Sunny li said...

Sunny says, The workers were working under a covenant – I SEE the old covenant and new covenant. These are bands of worker of the Old Testament saints and those called at the 11th hour are new covenant Grace workers saints. In the last days God grace is over abundance and ever pouring into this world. We cannot stop God grace pouring in! He is good enough!
SERVICE FOR GOD - Kathryn Kuhlman used to say “God isn’t looking for golden vessels or silver vessels - but yielded vessels”.
This parable tells us that whatever service we do for God it is not the amount of time and work you do. It is the Grace of God in our lives that works that service and our service and ministry will be acceptable with God always. When God looks at your work and ministry God looks at Jesus first at the Cross in you. June, 2010

Kat said...

Thank you, Sunny for visiting my blog and commenting. Hope you are blessed by the posts. :)